Frequently Asked Questions

Please read the following questions and answers before you call the Commencement Office. 
Additional FAQs can be found on the College Commencement page.

Do I need tickets for my Commencement Ceremony?

Tickets are required for admission to some commencement ceremonies. Each school at the University determines individually, in conjunction with the UCLA Fire Marshal and Commencement Office, if they will require tickets for their ceremonies based upon seating capacity and venue restrictions. Additionally, each school determines how those tickets will be distributed to their students. The following schools will require tickets to their ceremonies:

  • School of Dentistry
  • School of Engineering
  • School of Public Affairs
  • College of Letters and Sciences (includes all department graduations: English, Political Science, Chemistry, etc.)
  • School of Public Health
  • School of Nursing

Back to top

How do I get tickets to a ceremony?

For details on how to obtain tickets from your school, please click the link for your ceremony on the Commencement Schedule page or contact the student affairs office for your school directly.

Back to top

Why are only some ceremonies ticketed?

Ceremonies are held in a variety of venues, both indoor and outdoor, with varying graduate and audience capacities. Most indoor venues require ticketing due to the expected attendance and seating capacity. All capacities are determined by the UCLA Fire Marshal. Ceremonies in outdoor venues may also require ticketing in order to determine the number of seats to be provided. Ticketing is also a means of ensuring a safe and comfortable experience for all attendees. Ticketing and seating will be on a non-reserved, general admission basis only.

Back to top

Do I need a ticket for a child or baby?

If the child or baby will need to occupy a seat of their own, you will need to obtain a ticket. If the child or baby will remain on a parent's lap for the entire duration of the ceremony, they will not need a ticket.

Back to top

What color tassel will I be wearing?

The color of your tassel is determined by your school and degree. Graduation Etc. will help you determine the color of your tassel when you place your cap and gown order.

DegreeTassel Color
Bachelor of Arts - College of Letters and ScienceWhite
Bachelor of Science - College of Letters and ScienceGold
Bachelor of Arts - School of the Arts and ArchitectureBrown
Bachelor of Arts - School of Theater, Film, & TVBrown
Bachelor of Science - Henry Samueli School of EngineeringOrange
Bachelor of Science - School of NursingApricot
DegreeHood ColorTassel Color
Master of Arts (MA)WhiteBlack
Master of Science (MS)GoldBlack
Master of Architecture (MArch)LilacLilac
Master of Business Administration (MBA)DrabDrab
Master of Education (MEd)Light BlueLight Blue
Master of Engineering (Engr)OrangeBlack
Master of Fine Arts (MFA)BrownBlack
Master of Library & Information Science (MLIS)LemonLemon
Master of Music (MM)PinkPink
Master of Public Health (MPH)SalmonSalmon
Master of Public Policy (MPP)PeacockPeacock
Master of Science Nursing (MSN)ApricotBlack
Master of Social Welfare (MSW)CitronCitron
DegreeHood ColorTassel Color
Doctor of Environmental Sciences (DEnv)GoldOld Gold
Doctor of Public Health (DrPH)SalmonOld Gold
Doctor of Education (EdD)Light BlueOld Gold
Doctor of Musical Arts (DMA)PinkOld Gold
Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)Royal BlueOld Gold
Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS)LilacLilac
Doctor of Medicine (MD)GreenGreen
Juris Doctor (JD)PurplePurple

Back to top

Who wears the fourragères at Commencement?

The decorative braid, called a fourragère, is worn to recognize achievement. Students receiving either College Honors or Latin Honors or both wear a gold fourragère on the left shoulder. Recipients of the Chancellor's Service Award wear a blue-and-gold fourragère on the right shoulder.

Back to top

Where do I get my Cap and Gown?

Regalia, caps, gowns, announcements, diploma frames and graduation gifts can all be purchased on-line. Please visit the UCLA Store - Graduation Etc. for price lists, information, and ordering. Announcements will be ready for pick-up two weeks from the date of purchase at Graduation Etc. All other products, including caps and gowns, will be available for pick-up beginning in May 2017 in the textbook area of A-Level Ackerman Union. Senior portrait appointments are still available at the Campus Photo Studio (310) 206-8433. Don't forget to order wallet-sized portraits to include in your announcements. Order and pick-up early to avoid any delays or long lines.

Fourageres for Honors and Chancellor's Service Awards will be available at the beginning of June 2017. They must be purchased in person at Graduation Etc.

Graduation Etc., A-Level Ackerman Union
308 Westwood Plaza
Los Angeles, CA 90024
Phone: (310) 825-2587
FAX: (310) 825-2794
[email protected]

Back to top

Will the UCLA Store and campus restaurants be open during Commencement Weekend?

Click here for UCLA Store Information
Click here for local restaurant information.

Back to top

Are dogs allowed at Commencement?

Dogs may be brought onto the UCLA campus exterior spaces if they are under the control of a competent person and restrained by substantial chain or leash not exceeding six feet in length. A complete policy can be obtained at However, because some participants or audience members may be allergic to or afraid of dogs and we want to ensure that commencement is a positive experience for everyone, bringing a dog is discouraged with the exception of guide, signal, and service dogs used by disabled persons in accordance with the California Health and Safety Code.

Back to top

Are there gender inclusive restrooms on campus?

Yes, in accordance with the University’s nondiscrimination policies, all-gender restrooms at UCLA are single stall facilities that seek to create an inclusive campus environment and enhanced climate for transgender and gender variant people and many other populations. Please click here to view the Gender-Inclusive Restroom Map and find additional information.

Back to top

Where can I go to get more information?

College of Letters and Science Students

For more information, please Message Center for Student questions OR Message Center for General Public questions.

For ticketing information on departmental ceremonies within the College of Letters of Science, please visit the department’s ceremony website. Information on specific ceremonies can be found by clicking on the department's name in the commencement schedule.

Professional School Students

For information on Graduate and Professional School, please visit the School ceremony links below.

Visit here for the schedule of all UCLA graduation events.

Parent information
You will find information for parents and commencement guests here.

Back to top

Helpful Hints

Graduates: plan to arrive two hours before your ceremony begins or before your appointed line up time.

Find a location other than the Bruin Bear to meet your candidate. The Bruin Bear is at the crossroads of the campus and is a logical place to meet your son or daughter during Commencement Weekend, however, thousands of other families will be meeting their son or daughter at the same location. We would suggest meeting your candidate at locations such as the Inverted Fountain, in front of the Royce Hall Towers or at the entrance to a nearby building. Each Commencement Ceremony location is easily identified on Campus Maps and after four or five years, your son or daughter should be able to find the location that you choose.

Park for the end of your day at UCLA. Many times guests will park at the closest location to the Commencement Ceremony. However they will not take into account their tour of the campus after the ceremony. We would suggest that you plan your day so that after a full day of walking and seeing the campus, you do not have to walk across the campus to get to your vehicle. Plan your walking for early in the day when you have more energy and the weather is cooler. Remember to bring comfortable shoes if you plan on a walking tour of the campus.

Jot down the parking lot/structure number. UCLA has many parking lots and structures and all structures are multi-level complexes. We suggest that you write down the lot and level number of where you parked on a piece of note paper and take the note paper with you to the event. This will help you find your way back to your car.

If you get lost... UCLA Commencements post directional signs to all events on all main walkways throughout the campus. Each campus building has a sign that denotes the name of the building, remember which building you are parked close to or is nearest to your event. Campus maps are available at all information booths, on campus kiosks and from Commencement staff across the campus. If after checking your map, you still cannot find your way, please ask any friendly UCLA staff or student for directions.

Bring Sunblock - Even if the ceremony you are attending is indoors, if you plan on a walking tour of the campus, bring sunblock, especially for children. June weather in Southern California is traditionally hazy in the morning hours, but still causes sunburn.

No Balloons - While balloons are allowed at outdoor venues only, sometimes the person sitting behind you will be most appreciative if you leave the balloons in your car. We understand that balloons are festive and celebratory; perhaps they are better presented at dinner or at home.

Umbrellas - While the use of umbrellas is not restricted, we ask that you be considerate of those around you, especially behind you, when using an umbrella to block the sun.

Parking Tips - UCLA wants your commencement experience to be perfect from beginning to end. Depending upon the day and time of the event, the streets surrounding the campus can be quite congested. To help you avoid traffic congestion in the busy Westwood area, we would like to offer the following suggestions:

    • 405 (San Diego) Freeway: Avoid using the Sunset Boulevard and Wilshire Boulevard on-ramps to the 405 (San Diego) Freeway. Instead, travel south from the campus using Westwood Boulevard, Hilgard Avenue (to Westwood Boulevard), Gayley Avenue or Veteran Avenue to Santa Monica Boulevard, turn right (westbound) and enter the 405 from Santa Monica Boulevard.
    • 10 (Santa Monica) Freeway: Take Sunset or Wilshire Boulevard EAST from the campus, turn right (southbound) on Beverly Glen, right again (westbound) at Olympic Boulevard, then left (southbound) on Overland Avenue. Enter the 10 Freeway on Overland Avenue.

Back to top